A blog about climbing full time on the road.

www.flickr.com
matthewandcassie's items Go to matthewandcassie's photostream

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Price Boulders

When the temperatures get too hot everywhere else the price boulders start to look really good. The area is fairly small but has a good variety of problems ranging from V0-V8. Last weekend it was over 80 degrees everywhere else which makes for miserable climbing conditions due to sweaty hands and general fatigue. Mark, Suzi, Cassie, Pace and I opted to climb in the shade at Price. It ended up being a good choice. Surprisingly cool temps in the shade allowed us to dispatch some sloper problems that we weren't entirely sure would go. Cassie climbed a V5 called Barker's Beauties and is getting in super good shape for bouldering. She did it in only a few tries. This is the climb Cassie and Mark both do in the video at the start. Mark quickly followed suit and I completed it as well. I then set my sights on a cool short V6 called The Spider. It took me a few tries to figure out the beginning, but I came up with a sequence that worked. Mark then provided some beta for the end and it all came together after about ten tries. We didn't get video of me doing either of those problems but there is video of me trying the The Spider just before I sent it.

Turtle Head V8





After that we moved on to try Infestation V3 which is a great sloper problem. Also attempted were Turtle Head V8 which is a super sick compression problem ( a compression problem is when you are bear hugging a piece of rock and trying to push your arms together to stay on ). For some reason I seem to really enjoy slopers and compression problems but I just don't like sharp holds that always tweak my hands. Go figure. Turtle Head is a fantastic problem with really neat moves. I was very excited to find out that I can do pretty much all the moves on it. That's especially great since the weather isn't optimum. In theory another try on a cooler day could be even better. I have high hopes that I might be able to climb it this year. My goal for this year was to climb a V7 and I'm so close I can taste it. It would be even more sick to climb a V8 which is a grade I didn't know if I was capable of but now I'm thinking that it could be done.

Finally we ended on a beautiful line called "The Wave" V4. It's a big move to a good hold, then a heel hook and a mantle to top it out. It looks super cool in the video. 









No comments: